Weekend Chat: What’s your earliest Bills memory?

Syndication: Democrat and Chronicle
Shawn Dowd / USA TODAY NETWORK

What is your earliest memory of the Buffalo Bills?

Welcome back to our weekend chat, Buffalo Bills fans.

I currently have a 9-year-old and a 13-year-old at home, and as I am trying to build the next generation of Buffalo Bills fans in my own family, it leads me to think about my earliest memories of the Bills.

I was 7 when the Bills went to their first Super Bowl in January 1991, so the first thing I remember isn’t even the big 51-3 win over the Raiders to vault the Bills to Miami. I remember Whitney Houston singing the national anthem and all the red, white, and blue in the crowd. I’m pretty sure my parents put us to bed at halftime, so I woke up the next morning asking about the Bills winning or losing, but that’s fuzzy.

The first actual game I truly remember is The Comeback. It wasn’t on TV, so we listened in the basement as the Bills clawed their way back into the game, eventually winning in overtime.

My first trip to Rich Stadium was in December 1993, when my parents nabbed four tickets for us to see the Los Angeles Raiders make the trip east. Jeff Hostetler (THAT GUY AGAIN!?) led the Raiders to a come-from-behind victory to drop Buffalo to 8-4 on the season.

We’ve been to St. John Fisher a few times, but last year I took my kids to their first Bills game during the preseason and they had a great time. We have tickets for training camp again this year and I’ll probably look to snag some preseason tickets on the secondary market again this August. Pairing these in-person experiences with fancy food spreads during Bills games is how I’m planting the seeds. How are you working on your kids (or how did you, if they are older)?

Make your case in the comments and talk about anything else here in our weekend thread.

Feel free to chat about this or anything else you might like in the comments section for the weekend. This is your place for fellowship.


Welcome to the weekend, Buffalo Bills fans. After a long week, it’s time to blow off a little steam. Use this thread to talk about... well, whatever it is you’d like to talk about. Maybe you’d like to share a cool story from your week.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post